Tested and not tested chemicals are everywhere, so I know how important it is to try to clean the bathroom without using harsh chemicals. The bathroom is one of the most bacteria inviting places in our home and we want to try to do our best to keep it clean, right? I want to share, how I clean my bathroom without harsh chemicals.
- Step 1: Download the app "Think Dirty"
- Step 2: Go through all the cleaning products in your home and remove what you want
- Step 3: Purchase Baking Soda, Lemon Oil, Tea Tree Oil, White Vinegar, & Orange Oil (optional)
What is the best thing to clean bathrooms with
For me, the items in step 3 are in my opinion, the best things for me to clean my bathroom with. I sometimes switch it up when I’m feeling fancy and may add lavender essential oils, or use some castile soap. But mostly, starting out I kept it real simple and this is what I used.
- Baking soda - Because, It’s an odor eliminator, easy to purchase at most stores, removes most tough stains, it also breaks up dirt and grease, plus it doesn’t leave scratches like some of its competitors.
- Lemon Oil- Because it can reduce the spread of bacteria, it’s a mood lifter, offers a streak-free shine, and it helps keep the air fresh. Plus it just smells clean (personally it reminds me of pine-sol without the chemicals).
- Tea Tree Oil- Because, it has antibacterial properties, an odor eliminator, and it’s been known to remove mold
- White Vinegar- Because, it’s already in a lot of the cleaning products in stores, it removes dirt and grime, it dissolves soap scum, and it’s also been known to be a natural bacteria fighter
- Orange Oil- Who doesn’t like a citrus-smelling restroom! Plus it’s a great grease fighter, wood polisher, lifts dirt, and great deodorizer
What is a natural bathroom cleaner?
Now that you understand the ingredients and why I chose them, let's learn how to make some natural bathroom cleaner. By the way, it’s pretty simple to make, and you can alter it however you want. I have a bunch of bathroom recipes in the DIY natural cleaning products blog I posted a few weeks ago. But for this one, we will be making a simple all-purpose bathroom cleaner. You’ll need an empty spray bottle of your choice. Follow the steps below to make this easy DIY bathroom cleaner with essential oils recipe. Just mix in the ingredients, If it takes you longer than 6 mins you’re doing it wrong lol.
- Add some vinegar to the bottle
- Some water (i like to add more water than vinegar to cut that smell
- Add lemon oil and a few drops of tea tree oil
- Shake it up and it’s ready to use
How can I disinfect my bathroom naturally
So after you’ve cleaned your restroom, I’m sure now you are ready to disinfect it right? Well, lucky for us bathroom disinfectants are super easy to make, you can get some paper towels, and add some water, alcohol, tea tree oil, and lemon to create sanitizing wipes. Check out this video of me trying them out.
If you prefer disinfectant sprays, one of the easiest ones is
- Tea Tree Oil
- Peppermint Oil
- And A Few Drops Of Soap
Since we've already discussed the antibacterial properties of tea tree oil, let's talk about the benefits of alcohol. Alcohol kill germs, aids in water evaporation. Did you know that rubbing alcohol can also prevent bacteria growth and can kill some bacteria in up to 10 seconds.
Why Peppermint Oil?
Why peppermint oil? The easy explanation is, that it's a germ fighter.
To learn more about the different oils so you can use them as a natural alternative to other ingredients that we just don’t understand, I highly suggest grabbing a copy of my essential oil book. Because the more you start understanding the benefits of essential oils, it will really help you come up with some amazing recipes. You can order it from Amazon here.
How do I clean my shower naturally
I am begging you, throw that comet away. My people used to love Comet growing up, and so did I. But, the fragrance in that stuff makes it way too harsh for our skin and respiratory system and can sometimes cause irritation. To learn more about fragrances, and what they can be doing to our bodies, check out this article here. Did you know if you need a little extra scrubbing, baking soda can do the same thing if not better? Sprinkle a little baking soda and spray the vinegar all-purpose recipe from above and wipe clean. Of course, always try a small portion first. If you have glass mirrors in your shower, you can clean the streaks and prints with a little spray bottle of water, vinegar, and a few drops of lemon oil.
Streak Free Bathroom Mirror Cleaner
Super Simple 3 Ingredient Recipe:
2. White Vinegar
3. Few Drops of Lemon Oil (optional)
Put in a spray bottle and use as usual
DIY bathroom floor cleaner
Trust me, going natural does not have to be time-consuming or stressful. Now it’s time to tackle those sticky floors. Floors hold so much dirt and odor, but that’s okay we got this.
Floor cleaning doesn’t take much in my household anymore, and it has been amazing for my breathing. What changed? I stopped using Pine Sol and Fabuloso. I’ve switched to this simple recipe. I get an empty bottle and pour about
- 2 drops of alcohol
- Multiple drops of essential oils usually something citrusy
- Shake Well
Then I add that solution to some hot water and mop as usual. It works amazingly, and it smells good too.
Natural deodorizer for bathroom
“Why does my bathroom still stink after cleaning?” Even after doing the steps above. First, let me tell you, you’re not alone and it’s not because you can’t have a fresh home because you’ve decided to stop using synthetic fragrances.
This was a question I had more than once, one thing I discovered was it was areas around the toilet that I was missing. Like the side section, underneath where urine can be hiding. So first I cleaned that, and any other areas I was used to neglecting. Afterward, I got an old dollar tree mason jar, and I added some baking soda to it and dropped a few drops of essential oils of my choice in it and it worked.
Baking soda sucks up odor, so it can always deodorize the restroom. Then I add a drop or two of essential oils to the toilet (don’t flush) and just let it sit there. That helps naturally deodorize my bathroom as well.
I created a poop spray too, with water, vinegar, and any essential oil of my choice, usually lemon oil. All of these steps really help my bathroom smell amazing, even with a man living in this house. This is the best bathroom odor eliminator for my home and this is exactly my secret to keeping my bathroom smelling fresh naturally most of the time. I hope this helps you to start getting some ideas on how to start cleaning your bathroom without harsh chemicals.